The various Creeds accepted by the Eastern Rite brethren provide a summary and guideline as to our beliefs. Our beliefs are found within the Three Pillars of our Faith (Scripture, Tradition and Revelation), and the Creeds help summarize the faith.
A Basic Summary
- We believe in one God, and in His Son Jesus Christ (Yeshua Mshikha) and in the Holy Spirit. We believe that these three, often referred to as “aspects” make up the Godhead, or Divine Rulership. We do not use the term “trinity” to define the Godhead, but rather, we speak of the unique oneness of how God Himself rules through the Holy Spirit and through His Son Jesus Christ. We refer to Jesus in our liturgical and other texts as “God” because this is how the Scriptures refer to him, but we understand this to mean his authority to rule his sheep, as it was granted to him by his own Father.
- We believe in the necessity of having a covenant relationship with Almighty God; that He provides, through His Son, a covenant appropriate for His people in different time periods throughout the history of humanity. We believe that in this age, God’s Son has provided, as a manifestation of his right hand, the Teacher of Righteousness, known as the Catholicos Patriarch, as our teacher and guide to gaining a proper knowledge of the Truth and Light of the Scriptures.
- We believe in the Scriptures, namely the Aramaic Peshitta; that the Scriptures were provided by God through Divine Revelation.
- We believe in the right of every person to practice their own religion as long as it does not harm themselves or others (physically and/or mentally), although we are not obliged to recognize all doctrines of other religions as true.
- We believe in the sanctity of marriage, the respect of the genders, social statuses, sexual orientations, nationalities and races.
- I believe in God, the Father Almighty, Creator of Heaven and earth; and in Jesus Christ, His only Son Our Lord, Who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, died, and was buried.
- He descended into Hell; the third day He rose again from the dead; He ascended into Heaven, and sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father almighty; from thence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.
- I believe in the Holy Spirit, the holy Catholic Church, the communion of saints, the forgiveness of sins, the resurrection of the body and life everlasting.
- I declare myself to be a servant of Yahweh God.
- I declare myself to be one who worships the one and only Yahweh God who is (in) Jesus Christ.
- I declare myself to be one who guards our Most Holy Faith from any attack by its enemy.
- I declare my intentions to be steadfast in the belief of One God who is made known through the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, three aspects in One Supreme Godhead.
- I declare my belief in the Son of God, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God.
- I declare my belief in the prophecy of Moses and the truth of Aurayta (Law/Torah) given through him.
- I declare my belief in the written Word of God the Scriptures given to Moses and to the Prophets and in the Gospel of Jesus Christ, Son of God.
- I declare my belief in the Fire of the Word of God.
- I declare that I will resolutely never permit the Fire entrusted to me as a servant of God to be extinguished as long as there is breath within my body.
- I declare my rejection of those who encroach upon all that is sacred in the Holy Land.
- I declare that the traditions and teachings given to us through the Chosen Twelve shall always be within my heart and on my lips, for it was they who gave us, through Our Lord Jesus: baptism, confession to God and to man, the doctrine of the Twelve, the sacred ministry, anointing by the sacred oil of Yahweh, the gathering together to break the Holy Bread of the Presence, raising up of the Cross before my eyes and before the peoples, assistance and prayer with anointing with oil of those who fall into illness, and observance of and devotion to the Word of Fire of God.
- I declare my belief in the peaceful life, and I will not take up the sword against my brother. I declare my belief in the Revelation of God through His servants the angels and spirits for the good of all mankind and in the progress to the Great Light of God.
- I declare my belief in observing the Aurayta given to Moses and ratified by being sealed in the blood of the Lamb.
- I declare that I will resolutely honor and defend the Chair of Moses and the Throne of St. James the Righteous, and the Presence of the Archangel Michael through the continuation of the Twelve Holy Apostles who are always with us.